Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Barns-o-bikes

I found another CL list in October, I usually ignore garage sales as the bikes are usually swept up really fast by the hard core garagati, and I don't know how I found this one, must be fate as this seems to be happening more often. The ad said their father had been collecting junk for years, bikes, Volkswagens and tools so I jumped in my VW Eos and checked it out, took the wrong vehicle for this.


These images are from later, there were more, I grabbed everything that said Schwinn on it, I was the only person looking for bikes so I hoarded a pile in an open spot in the field, it had been a little farm and had several small barns and a garage, stuffed with mostly bikes and tools.
I grabbed a cool Schwinn Tandem and about 7 other Schwinn bikes, then I turned to parts, I grabbed every rear Sturmey Archer wheel, about 10 and any rims saying Schwinn, got some great old script rims.
There were milk cartons that had the sides cut off for storing parts, I grabbed the intereting ones with NOS cables, shifters etc. Found a really nice Campagnolo shifter set, 4 pairs of NOS shark fin chrome fenders, about 20+ NOS tires of various sizes and lots of clamps, seat tubes etc.
Well I was really dirty by now and decided to call it quits, I talked to the son of the original owner, his father had passed and he grew up at the house, we chatted for a long time and I told him to let me know if there is any more Schwinn stuff. He said there was more in the little barn in the back and a couple sheds, he said his father had bought a bunch of previously stolen bikes from the police in the 1970s so there were a bunch hanging from the rafters and he would be cleaning them out in a couple weeks. So I paid my $75 for all the stuff I got (I fixed up the tandem and sold it for $350) waited to hear back.
I ended up getting a call in 3 weeks and returned to the site, after seeing there were over 50 bikes left, I went through to find a way to whittle down what I would take, I ended up with all the adult bikes I could load in my GMC Yukon and small trailer after 3 trips, over 40 wheels, bunches of NOS tires, and 20+ frames, a lot of them were kids bikes, small 20 inch so the only one I took was a Schwinn Stingray in blue.


Upon pressure washing my latest cache at home, I noticed one front wheel looked strange, it had Schwinn written on it and a drum brake, after cleaning it up and posting a CL about selling parts (don't need them all) I sold that wheel for $100 and the Stingray frame for $40, pretty good since I bought all the stuff for $50.


Another ladies bike looked pretty old, it was rattle canned black, it had a head badge that said "Henderson, Arnold Schwinn and Co" it was a skip tooth so I knew it was prewar but wondered about what it was. I spend a couple hours with lacquer thinner carefully removing the black paint, I have about 1/4 removed but I know it's going to take hours to finish, maybe just repaint it.

Found out Henderson was a motorcycle company that Schwinn bought out so that he could brand bicycles with the famous Henderson Motorcycle companies name.
Also got lots of stuff like a rack of ape hangers.

Still acid dipping the stuff and polishing up the chrome, great find, I am going to be building bikes all winter.
There is still an old 1951 step side GMC truck there, that would make a really great bike hauler, well when the snow melts I am going back!

No comments:

Post a Comment